Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, October 6, 2017
The sleek, bullet-shaped Airstream trailer has been around since the 1930s when a lawyer named Wally Byam started building them in his backyard in California. Since then the trailer has become synonymous with freedom. Life on the open road. And loads and loads of style.

We lived next door to one when I was a kid. It belonged to our neighbors the Alexanders who have used to have "camping parties" when they weren't traveling. They'd invite everyone in the neighborhood to bring a own chair and beverage and we'd sit in a little circle around the Airstream's front door while Mr. Alexander cooked burgers and dogs on a small grill outside and Mrs. Alexander brought out lemonade for us kids.

I loved that little trailer. I loved that it was all round inside. It was cozy and inviting. Plus, it always smelled really good inside the Airstream - like the scent of Adventure!

Every time I see one on the road, it takes me back to those neighborhood 'campouts' at the Alexanders' house and I remember how much I wanted to live the "Airstream Life", too. I never got to buy one for myself, but I as it turns out, I didn't have to - you can rent one these days. Maybe I'll start saving for next summer and finally have an Airstream Adventure of my own!

Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.