Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, September 8, 2017
Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas 
With Waylon and Willie and the boys...

I wonder if Waylon Jennings had a psychic flash when he recorded "Luckenbach Texas" 40 years ago. If he had a vision of the supergroup that would later form. Or if it was all a mistake and we just happen to think of the Highwaymen when we hear that song now. (Or maybe that's just me.)

The Highwaymen were a country supergroup made up of the genre's heaviest hitters: Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and Kris Kristofferson. I remember hearing them on the radio for the first time. I was just knocked out. All that talent in one recording...it was almost too much to take!

The year was 1985 and the song was the title track, "The Highwayman". It charted at #1 and became the group's most popular and well known song. I bought that album and the two that followed, "Highwayman 2" (1990) and "The Road Goes on Forever" (1995).

Sadly, the road didn't go on forever. We lost Waylon in 2002 and Johnny in 2003. But the music lives on. I still have all the old records. I remember the music and the lyrics. I remember the legends who brought it all to life.

I don't pretend to know how these things work, but I like to think they'll all end up together someday. Maybe in a place like Luckenbach because, as Waylon said,

Out in Luckenbach, Texas 
There ain't nobody feelin' no pain.

Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.