Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, October 13, 2017

This might come as a surprise to regular readers, but The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my all-time favorite holiday films.

Of course I love the classics like A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol, but Nightmare has something they don't: it combines two of the most wonderful days of the year: Halloween and Christmas.

Since we're approaching the Nightmare season, which runs from Halloween all the way through Christmas, I thought I'd share some of my favorite moments from this heartwarming holiday classic:
  1. Watching Jack Skellington discover Christmasland for the first time made my heart swell. It almost was like watching my kids' first Christmases. Just a little creepier.
  2. When Jack first reaches for the door to Christmasland, you can see the surrounding dark forest in the reflection off of the doorknob.
  3. Jack's Halloweentown friends' confusion that the "sock" he brought isn't supposed to have a foot inside.
  4. The sad but triumphant moment when Jack realizes that he's not very good at Christmas, but he's still the King of Halloween!
  5. And last, but definitely not least, the touching moment when Jack and Sally realize they are made for each other. 
I know it's a little weird. Strangely dark. Maybe a little spooky for the little kids. But it has all the trimmings of a great holiday story - love, giving, discovery, and even a miracle or two. Which is why Tim Burton's creepy classic makes my all-time favorite list!


Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.