Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, August 25, 2017
Everybody's doin' a brand new dance now
(Come on baby, do the Loco-Motion)
I know you'll get to like it if you give it a chance now
(Come on baby, do the Loco-Motion)
My little baby sister can do it with ease
It's easier than learnin' your ABCs
So, come on, come on, and do the Loco-Motion with me. 

Remember that song? I'll bet you can hear it in your head right now. It was a huge sensation, but the singer who made it famous would become one of music's so-called 'one hit wonders'.

On this date in 1962 17-year-old Eva Narcissus Boyd (Little Eva) took the #1 spot on the charts with "The Loco-Motion". She had just left North Carolina for the Big Apple and she was looking for work wherever she could find it. As luck or fate would have it, she landed a babysitting job - with songwriter Carole King.

King wrote the song and Boyd recorded it. Besides being a big hit, the song created a minor dance craze - everybody was doing it.

Including me.

Though it would be Little Eva's first and only hit song, "The Loco-Motion" was one of only nine songs in history to chart at #1 by two different artists. Grand Funk Railroad covered it in 1974 and got everybody doing the Loco-Motion once again.

Including me.

It was a line dance of sorts and - believe it or not - I still know the steps. And (maybe more believable) I still have the record. So tonight I'll celebrate the anniversary of little Eva's one bold accomplishment by getting everybody at my house to "do the Loco-Motion with me".

Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.