Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, November 25, 2016
On November 21, 1976 my friends and I headed out to the theater to catch a movie. I don't remember which movie we were going to see that night, but it was sold out. I do remember that it was the first Sunday night of our Thanksgiving holiday from school and we were determined to make the most of it. Which meant there was no way we were going home.

So we bought the last remaining tickets to the only other film that was showing at our small movie theater: Rocky. We were less than excited about seeing a boxing movie, but it was better than nothing. So we settled into our seats with our buttered popcorn, Jujubes and Milk Duds, expecting to be totally bored for the next couple of hours.

When the credits started to roll, we couldn't believe the movie was already over. Who knew they'd sneak a love story into a boxing movie? We wanted to see more of Rocky's 'ultimate underdog' story. We wanted more of Adrian. (We didn't know we'd see plenty more - good and bad - in the coming years.) As we left the theater, we agreed to see the movie again before vacation was over. And we did. About four times, I think.

This year Rocky turns 40. I still watch it at least once every Thanksgiving season. So do some of my old friends. Now our families are in on the fun, too. Sometimes we even watch a sequel or two.

Looking back, I think it's the very first holiday tradition I ever started on my own. It's lasted nearly 40 years - it must be a winner.

Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.