Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, October 28, 2016
My grandfather loved the Chicago Cubs. Like most Cubs fans, he cursed the Curse of the Billy Goat, which as legend goes, has kept the team out of the World Series since 1945. The championship losing streak goes back even further than that -- the Cubs haven't won the Series since taking home back-to-back championships in 1907 and 1908.

Every year at the end of the regular season, my Grandfather would tell me the story of Billy Sianis, owner of the Billy Goat Tavern. Sianis was thrown out of game 4 of the '45 series along with his pet goat, Murphy, because the animal was pestering fans. On his way out, Billy cursed my grandfather's beloved Cubs, saying, "Them Cubs, they ain't gonna win no more!"

It seemed to work. Until this year, they hadn't won a pennant since that fateful day at Wrigley Field. But my grandfather never abandoned his team. He was the ultimate foul weather fan, sticking by his team until the day he died.

Now it seems the curse has been broken. The Cubs now face the Cleveland Indians in what promises to be a truly historic World Series because, when it comes to championship losing streaks, the Indians are second only to the Cubs.

My grandfather won't get to see his beloved Cubbies go to the World Series, but I'm watching for him. I'm not a die-hard fan like my grandfather, but I truly hope the the Cubbies break their 100+ year losing streak.

Even if they lose, everyone agrees: the Curse of the Billy Goat is officially broken. So even if the Cubs don't take this World Series, fans can still say, "we'll get 'em next year!" And really mean it this time!

Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.