Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, October 14, 2016
I Love Lucy debuted on television on October 15, 1951. It was the first scripted television program to be shot in front of a live studio audience on 35mm film. It was also the first to occupy the top Nielson ratings spot when the show ended its run after six seasons. (Only two other shows have done it since then: The Andy Griffith Show and Seinfeld.)

As a long time fan of the show, I think I've seen every episode at least three times (or more). I'll watch my favorites like "The Chocolate Factory" and "Vitameatavegamin" over and over and over again. And I still laugh out loud even though I know every line and every joke by heart.

But there's always something to learn about our old favorites, so I dug up some fun facts to celebrate the sitcom's 65th anniversary.

  • Staff writer Madelyn Pugh Davis took a lot of the shows most hilarious classic moments from her real life.
  • Frank Sinatra was supposed to play Lucy's old boyfriend who dropped in to visit, but the episode never came to be.
  • The rumor that Vivian Vance was under contract to keep her weight at least 20 pounds above Lucille Ball's is absolutely false.
  • The entire time the star was pregnant, the writers had to come up with some creative ways to discuss the new family member without using the "p-word".
  • When Lucy was recovering from childbirth, the show's producers decided to rebroadcast earlier episodes to give the new mom some much needed rest from filming. The ratings went through the roof, effectively "giving birth" to the rerun.
I Love Lucy might be the most re-run show on television. It's been on the air continuously in the Los Angeles area since the day it premiered. It's been translated into multiple languages and is syndicated all over the world.

I know that whenever I want to take a walk down memory lane with Lucy and Ricky and the Mertzes, all I have to do it turn on the TV and keep flipping channels. Sooner or later, I'll find a classic episode to watch!



Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.