Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, November 24, 2017
We have a lot of holiday traditions in my family - things we do as a family every year and, well, Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without them. One of my favorites is the ornament exchange. Since I can remember we've been buying special ornaments for each other. Sometimes to commemorate a birth or a graduation, or any of the year's momentous events. Mostly they're just for fun.

There are three things I like about giving ornaments as gifts:
  1. They're small. They make perfect stocking stuffers. Or just for laughs, you can wrap a tiny ornament in a giant box with lots of filling. (This works especially well on the little ones.) 
  2. They're Reusable. Every year, you get to decorate your tree with memorable moments from the years before. And with each new ornament exchanged, you're making more memories for next year's tree.  
  3. They're perfect for collectors. You probably won't be surprised to learn I'm not the only collector in my family. Do you know someone who's mad about Mickey or bonkers for Betty Boop? Ornaments are the answer - you'll never have to worry about finding the perfect gift again.
They don't have to wait for Christmas to come out, either. Some ornaments are what my mom calls "evergreen" - meaning they can move from tree to car to home or office all year long. (I have several hanging in my office right now - they'll be headed home for the holidays soon.)

What I love the most is unpacking all those precious ornaments every year. I pour a cup of hot chocolate and sit down to carefully unbox and unwrap them. As I hang each one on the tree - finding just the right spot - I get to relive the bright moments of Christmases past. Which is what makes this tiny tradition not just perfect, but priceless.

Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.