Betty's Attic
Shop Betty’s Attic.com for nostalgic collectibles. Betty's Attic offers baby boomer toys, dolls, puzzles and games plus classic television, movie and radio memorabilia… Recycle
Friday, August 18, 2017
The first time I saw an active volcano, it was in Hawaii. I don't remember which volcano it was, but I remember it was one of the most awesome things I'd ever seen in my life. We were on a family vacation to America's youngest state and Dad wanted us to see everything Hawaii had to offer, which was a lot.

He also taught us things about the newest American state. For example:
  • It's the only state with its own time zone.
  • No other state is made completely of islands.
  • If you measure it from east to west, it's the widest of the 50 states. 
  • Love that cup of Kona? It comes from Hawaii, the only state where coffee grows.
  • Iolani Palace (Honolulu) is the only royal palace in the country.
  • There are more observatories on Hawaii than any other place on earth.
  • Hawaii became a state on August 21, 1959. 
I don't think I'd ever seen my dad in shorts before. But every morning, he'd meet us downstairs in his Hawaiian shirt with his hairy legs showing, his guidebook full of Hawaii facts at the ready. He took us all over the islands, pointing at this landmark and that, and encouraging us to try every new food we could get our teeth on. I liked Poi, but I wasn't so crazy about Spam Musubi, which is Spam and rice wrapped in seaweed. After all, I could get Spam at home. And Dad never convinced me that seaweed was food.

Hawaii has no equal as a vacation spot. Not here in the U.S. or anywhere else in the world. You can explore the tallest mountains, peer into active volcanoes, hike through tropical forests, surf some of the world's most famous waves, and immerse yourself in one of the most diverse cultures in America. But one of my best memories of Hawaii still hangs among the family pictures in my hallway: a snapshot of Dad in a flowery shirt - and short pants!

Posted by: Betty | 8:00 AM | permalink
Newer›  ‹Older

© 2017 Johnson Smith Co.